Safeguard Your Home While on Holiday
July 24, 2017
Keep your home and its contents safe while you’re away with the following tips:
- Don’t publicise your holiday on social media or the internet as this lets potential thieves know that your home will be empty.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to put away rubbish bins, collect post and pick up junk mail left in your letter box. Royal Mail also provides a service called Keepsafe that holds letters and parcels for up to 66 days. Prices for this service start at £14 for 17 days.
- Don’t leave valuable items, such as a TV or laptop, in view from windows.
- Utilise automatic timer switches to turn on lights and a TV or radio at
preset or random times.
- Before you leave, mow the lawn and water the garden.
- Make sure to keep any outside tools locked up, and ensure your garage and shed are fitted with proper locks. Burglars may attempt to use your tools to break into your home.
- Check with the insurance professionals at Howden to make sure your contents and building insurance policies are up to date and that you have sufficient cover, especially if you will be away for an extended period of time.
- Perform a final safety inspection before leaving for your holiday by walking around your home to double-check that everything is safe and burglar-proof.